Now that you have made the decision to get a postage meter, what do you next? Here are 10 questions to ask a postage meter vendor BEFORE you sign a contract.
1. Will my contract increase after the first year?
Make the first question about contract protection. Ask the vendor to share their policy with you. For example, new Quadient customers are offered contract protection for the first three years.
2. What are the costs for extras (if needed), and can they be added to any of the machines?
Consider if you need any extras like sealing, stacking, and feeding, and have these costs itemized. Ask about any bundled offers. This is a great way to affordably add a shipping or outsourcing option to your mail process.
3. What is the estimate of the total monthly supply costs for each machine (per impression)?
Compare leasing or renting offers to find the best option for your company. Then find out if your contract is price protected and for how long. Avoid getting lured in by an introductory price that increases every year.
4. What is the total cost of ownership?
This should include the cost of ink, tapes and sealing fluid! Make sure you ask so there are no surprises down the road.
5. What type of connection do your units offer?
Determine if your office needs LAN, PC, Wireless or Modem connections.
6. Is there an extra cost to refill the postage meter?
Some vendors will charge you a fee to add postage!
7. Is there a minimum balance required on the machine at all times?
Vendors can charge for this too if your machine's balance is below their mandated threshold. Each vendor has its own policy, so be sure to ask.
8. What is your policy for getting postage funds back after the meter is returned?
Each vendor has its own policy, so be sure to ask.
9. Can you provide a copy of your Terms and Conditions?
Take a good look at this document for hidden fees or stipulations.
10. What are all the possible monthly and long-term fees?
This can be a good way to get the overview but be sure to double-check the answers against your proposal.